Introduction – Glancing at the number of engineering colleges in India and the number of engineers coming out of these colleges, the questions that articulate in everyone’s minds are, “does India need so many engineers?” Are they all employable? The negativity brought forth by such questions has mangled engineering education in India.
In this global era, the whole focus should be on development of India and the question should be whether the world needs so many engineers. The answer is a big, “yes.” One more question related to previous one, Is there a need for scientists? The answer is again, “yes.” The world needs in abundance of well-equipped, talented graduates with the right attitude. There are various job opportunities for those who have the potential. In addition, opportunities for self-employment are also available in abundance for innovative and energetic minds.
The System – To view the Indian education scenario, try to address from parents view , like whose wards are applying for admission to colleges. After 12th mostly students follow the trend, most students would like to pursue professional programmes such as medicine and engineering. Lacking in the availability of the seats for medicine, getting an MBBS seat has become extremely difficult and the majority is left with the next popular option as engineering. The system of choosing between the engineering and medicine has been oriented for the school only, like selecting a stream that will lead to more money and success.
Due to lack of any proper orientation and counseling programme or system, parents and their wards decide which stream will be best for student. During counseling, we notice that the selection of a branch of study categorized on the following:
(1) The most sought-after branch in counseling,
(2) The branch having good job opportunities as seen by the previous year placements,
(3) Parental pressure and
(4) Peer pressure
The current practice of selecting the branch and stream for college is completely incorrect. So the best way is to channelize your different branches and working on the pros and cons of the whole network. Because of such practices there will be more problems in employment and that will lead to dissatisfaction in existing jobs too. Other drawbacks may lead to high turnover rates, low productivity and increase in the stress level of employees.
Difference – After being understood the education scenario, the few myths which should be cleared from the mind of parents and then should make any conclusions.
- Engineering and doctor is not the only professional stream left as they are many more which has authentic categorization.
- Marks scored in 12th are a true reflection of one’s intelligence, and the one who has scored 95 per cent is more intelligent than others is not the point of judgment. Students should be judged on the bases of capabilities not on the percentage.
- Those who studied higher secondary education in local medium cannot shine in professional courses taught in English.
- Unemployment is on top, so campus placement is everything. It is just the myth and should be removed from the mind.